Monday, February 27, 2012

Sunday Gold Medal Game

Sunday and Final Day at the Scotties
Update on Friday night surprise at the Heart Stop Lounge.
Go back to my Tuesday Calgary Airport Run. Before picking up my passenger at 7:45am, I stopped for a Timmies. While waiting in line I chatted with a young gal asking her the location of the Days Inn, which was just around the bend out of sight. To thank her I gave her a London Pin.
Forward to Friday night at the Heart Stop Lounge. It was packed, noisy and the place was humming. Out of the Blue this excited girl screamed and grabbed me and said " you’re the guy who gave a pin at Timmies"
She then went on to say she gave the pin to her 8-year-old niece who then showed to all of her friends. The story touched my heart.
Sunday Shift started at 1pm and I needed to get the Manitoba Team to sign my jersey. While driving back to the Hotel the radio said there was a pickup at Earls for Team MB, so I diverted to the restaurant, got my autographs and photo with Jen & Kaitlyn. YEA!
I had Sunday all planned out. My shift started at 1pm to 8pm and I would cut out at 3pm about the 5th end of the Final game to assemble with the other volunteers to walk on the ice at the closing ceremonies. My plans got changed at the last moment as myself and Pearl had to driver Team Northwest Territories/Yukon to the Edmonton Airport.
Had to wait on the return trip until we got the two-way radio signal to find out who WON!
Went straight back to the Heart Stop to get my next to final autographs from Team Alberta or the new Team Canada.
Finally caught up with them and their excitement and had them sign my jersey.
Fantastic day for the organizers having the Host Province win the gold medal and become Team Canada.
Interesting side bar, Alberta Team Coach, Darryl Horne is the husband of Kate Horne a former Emco employee and player with Cathy Borst of AB.

Kaitlyn Laws & Jennifer Jones Team MB



Jennette - Dave- Mother of Pearl


Dave & Pearl


Doug,Director Fred,Assistant, Dan, Dispatcher, Dave, Driver


Clock Gift and Card for Dan our Dispatcher


Kingston 2013 Scotties Team
Brian Ward, Ken Thompson, Larke Zarichny, Jan Ray

 More to follow on Monday, my last working day.

Early Monday Report..........-27C...Time to put on winter coat

No comments:

Post a Comment